Thursday, March 09, 2006

Yeh Dil Mange More……

I met her after 12 years.

Couldn’t hold the excitement, when I heard from her first and we set up a date and time to meet. She was my school time best friend! We had sat together on the same bench for years! We had shared our books, lunches, exam fevers, boy friend’ woes, music tapes, and so much more………….. I told all the people around me that I am meeting my ‘bum chum’ after years of having lost touch! I couldn’t stop myself from thinking how we both will react and how we will have so much to share…..

The day finally dawned and I reached 20 minutes earlier at the decided venue – a coffee shop, in the center of the city. After an impatient wait of 30 minutes, she finally arrives and I literally need to keep my mouth shut and control my facial expressions. She looked atleast 10 years older to me! We embraced and both said at the same time, “You have changed so much!”

Now, I really have changed a lot since the school days, from the skinny teenage girl of that era! She was the same, if one avoided looking at a considerable amount of white strands on her head, and quite a few wrinkles around her eyes and mouth. As we sat, I scanned her face once more; she looked in my eyes and proudly said,” I haven’t gained much weight, have I?” I shook my head but gulped down my words, “But you have gained so many years!!” Thankfully, the waiter chose that moment to come and take our order.

After ordering, I ask her…”So, what’ve you been doing all these years?” She smiles back and says something. I don’t hear what she says at all……her smile and that look in her eyes has reminded me of something...somebody…..and I desperately need to figure out, what, who, where?! I keep staring at her as she speaks…..and VOILA! I know where I have seen that look before..!!! Yes, I know where……….long ago….when I was a kid….me and my brother had a cat…we used to call it Dolly…..once we were getting the house renovated and she got stuck in the rooftop over the balcony……we were all taking an afternoon nap…..after a few hours, when my brother and I start looking for her, we find her there, with one leg stuck in one of the cracks…the look of pain and helplessness has remained with me till now!

She stops talking and looks at me, expecting an answer…..I haven’t heard a word what she said….I am deeply ashamed and amazed at the same time…why was I thinking of the bloody cat when I am meeting an old friend after 12 years!!!

I apologize and can’t resist asking, “Is everything allright?” For a minute, there is complete silence……..she looks at me, taken aback….and then laughs aloud and says in a flurry of words…..OFCOURSE! I just told you how well in life I am doing, then what made you ask that?

I sit back in my chair…..and look at her again….”How well?” I ask her. That stumps her…she gulps all her coffee in one go. This time, her voice is small….. ……”I have a rich husband, I have two bright kids in school, I have loving in-laws staying with me, I have a beautiful house, I have a smart car with a driver….”

I prompt her again, saying, “AND?”

She looks up at me and says “and…….that’s it!”

We both look at each other and I can hear the cat meowing away in a distant as we sleep……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home